Thursday, October 11, 2012

Katniss' Conflicts

Author's note: In reading class we learned a new way of reading a book by finding out the conflicts going on in the book, and how the main character learns to resolve it. I did my conflict and resolving piece on The Hunger Games because I felt there are a lot of conflicts in this book and Katniss, the main character, solves the problems very well. 


In the Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, I noticed a lot of conflicts in this book. I've read this book about four times and it seems to still be one of my favorites. One reason might be that the conflicts pull you in leaving you wanting to know how Katniss, the main character of the book, resolves the problems. Katniss is up against four main conflicts in my mind.  I see her having problem's with the society, nature, people, and herself. I picked society because she doesn't like the way society works. She also has problems with the nature because she has to learn how to use it properly to live in the arena. A big conflict is people because she's up against a lot of people in the arena and everyone wants to win the Hunger Games so people are always trying to kill other people. Lastly, she's up against herself because the Hunger Games a mental game of staying alive and being smart. 

Even though it's a long book with many details and terrifying moments, Katniss learns to resolve her problems. It all starts with the society problem. Katniss learns to not care what people think by ending the Hunger Games with a berry death. Her and Peeta, a boy in the arena, are both the only ones left, but they don't want to kill each other so they both risk their lives by almost eating poison berries. I say almost because the game makes, people in charge of the Hunger Games, stop them and say Katniss and Peeta both win together. Katniss uses nature by helping her eat and she uses fires to keep her warm. For the people conflict, there were a lot of deaths, but that was the only way of winning the games. Lastly, Katniss learned to survive on her own and stayed mentally focused in the games knowing she had to win, and that's exactly what she did. 

1 comment:

  1. First off, I love the Hunger Games too! I really like that you found a lot of conflicts and talked about all of them. Though one thing is that you kind of say "I" a lot. Just come out and say it. :)

    ReplyDelete